How to Grow a Weed Garden in Ten Easy Steps.
- Come up with a brilliant, elaborate, gorgeous plan for a garden. (Bonus points if you pour over a thousand Pinterest posts and pin them all to a board and then point out all the delightful parts you want your “Honey-Do” partner to dig up, build, create and buy for you.)
- Circle the magic day on your calendar, head to your favorite garden shop and purchase all of the goodies, load up the car and drag them all back home, dumping them into a big pile in the driveway.
- Dig up all the grass, dig a big hole, make a pile of weeds, leave them in the yard.
- Go have lunch.
- Get a great idea over lunch, remember that really great movie you wanted to see, go see it.
- Come home, make dinner, look at dirt hole in yard, think, “I really should get back to that, oh well, maybe tomorrow… and pour yourself a drink.”
- Wake up the next day, realize you had promised to go to your friend’s party, hurry up and shove new stuff in the garage and go to party. Leave weed pile on lawn.
- Go back to everyday life, thinking, “Next week I’ll work on the garden.”
- Watch it rain next weekend.
- Watch weeds grow in weed garden.
Please don’t ask me how I know this. Just trust me, this is written by an expert. I have grown many, many weed gardens in my life. I have also come back to the weed gardens much, much later when the weeds were almost as tall as me and rolled up my sleeves and went to battle, ripping and tearing and digging and swearing to my Good Father in Heaven that this will be the VERY LAST weed garden I ever grow.
It’s a lie.
He knows it’s a lie, I know it’s a lie and we both just agree to humor me while I’m batting away the mosquitoes and trying to pretend I am learning my lesson.
The Garden is my Sensei.
I learn all important lessons in the garden, and I forget them there as well. And every season comes around again to remind me what I have forgotten.
Weeds are here to remind us that what we ignore will sneak up on us like a mountain of misery. And flowers are here to remind us that what we focus on will flourish like the most beautiful garden paradise.
How to Grow a Gorgeous Garden in Ten Easy Steps.
- Dig up a manageable spot.
- Enrich the soil with good nutrients.
- Plant seeds or pretty plants.
- Come back and visit.
- Pull any weeds that show up.
- Check to see if it needs water, if it does, water.
- Come back and visit.
- Enjoy Flowers.
- Rinse and repeat, expand if desired.
Weeds need one thing- to be ignored and they will reward you with an onslaught of reproduction. Oh by the way, in case no one has ever warned you about this, Weeds are closely related to Bills, Laundry and Clutter, they are all from the same family tree.
Flowers also need one thing-attention-and they will reward you with beauty, rest, relaxation, joy, happiness… and the list goes on and on. Oh, and by the way, Flowers are in the same family tree as passion, life-work, families, relationships, creativity…
Starting to get the idea?
Important Lessons From the Garden
- Grow what you have time for.
- Focus on what you committed to.
- Daily Attention is more important than the BIG PROJECT TIME.
- Deal with the weeds when they are tiny.
- Only grow what makes you happy.
- Smell the Flowers, that’s what you grew them for.
- Don’t forget to replenish the nutrients. We all need new nutrients.
- Water is Critical!
- Sunshine is Critical!
- Gardens are for joy, relaxing and spending time in paradise. Don’t miss the reason you grew it in the first place. Spend time in the Garden.